Quick Reference

Time Period:
1932 or 1933

Location:
A farm, Avery Road,
Buckland, Mass

Medium:
Oil on Canvas

Type:
Landscape

Category:
Farms, Landscape & Views

Size:
36 x 42

Exhibited:
MacBeth Galleries, NY
Mt.Holyoke College, Hadley, MA

Purchased:
Unknown

Provenance:
NA

Noteworthy:

Only the house on the left and the barn, far right, still exist. Fire consumed all the rest.

Related Links

Featured Artwork: Courage and Peace

RSW's Diary Comments

“Painted in 1932 or 3. Carter’s farm in Buckland on Town Farm Hill. Made a chalk drawing of same thing, owned by Miss Elise Biddle Robinson of Philadelphia (now Mrs. Harold Paumgarten). Also a 25 x 30 canvas owned by Harold W. Grieve, noted decorator of West Hollywood California. Made COURAGE AND PEACE from smaller canvas. Bought and owned by Mrs. William H. Moore, 4 East 54th St., N.Y. City, from Macbeth Exhibition in 1935.”


Additional Notes

Boston Transcript, June 2, 1934 by J. F.

"......a vigorous and arresting picture, it embodies a high form of art not only by reason of its bold originality and masterly technique, but because it carries with it by implication a team philosophy of art in its relation to life. It has so synthesized those two aspects of life which give the production its name that we are lead to perceive the victory of life as attained only by experiencing its tragedy."

North Adams Transcript, June 20, 1934 by F. W,

" one artist, recently returned from Paris, said that no landscape seen in any European gallery could surpass in convincing power Mr. Woodward's Courage and Peace.

Greenfield Daily Recorder Gazette, Aug. 16, 1934

"A most impressive painting in the exhibit at the Weldon Hotel is Woodward's noteworthy conception Courage and Peace, a wide sweep of old farm buildings across the foreground, and beyond them the Buckland hills rising into the majestic blue. It is a winter scene with heavy snow upon the ground and that wonderful sense of cold which Woodward knows so well how to express in his paintings."

James Avery


This was the original farm of James Avery (after whom the road it is located on was later named). He developed the two largest oxen in the world and toured them about the country for exhibitions and fairs. He became famous for the


photograph below sitting in a rocking chair on big Mack (right). Jim later moved his farm and the oxyen down to "the mill section" of Buckland near the little red school house, a larger farm with much more and much better land.