"Painted in summer 1941. Painted in the studio from a chalk drawing of the same scene before the drawing went to Northfield Seminary as a gift from the class of 1891. The original drawing was made from the back yard (overlooking the Connecticut River) of Bertha Davenport's Red Farm House, on the Brattleboro-Bellows Falls Road above Putney, Vermont. Sold July, 1945, to a private owner."
This painting is now privately owned.
See also Above the Connecticut a chalk drawing of the same subject.
The only image we have does not allow enough pixals to enlarge. The image to the right, in its frame, gives a much better view of this painting.