"Painted 1938. Painted on side street (near gymnasium) of Old Deerfield when in great pain. House, George Fuller's old studio. Sent to Harold Grieve in Hollywood but on return not satisfied with it so repainted it during the winter of 39-40. Invited to Corcoran Biennial Washington, D.C, 1941, from Macbeth Gallery and winning 3rd place in popular vote among all pictures in the exhibition. Bought in June 1941 by Mr. Jacob Merteus, Jr. of #1 Wall Street, N.Y. City or 13 Campden Road, Scarsdale, NY"
Purchased at auction in Old Lyme, Conn. Privately owned.
Painted on Old Albany Road in the south end of Old Deerfield just off the Deerfield Academy campus. This is the road going west along the south side of the Administration Building down toward the old cemetery. The tree is gone, but the building is still there.
Please see also Hitchcock Elm and Out of the Past.
To the left: is an image of the original sepia print. It is of better quality than the color image above but still, unfortunately shows some blur.
Below left: is a newspaper clipping of unknown origin reporting Woodward's 3rd place prize for most popular painting at the 17th (1941) Biennial Exhibition of the Corcoran Art Gallery in Washington D.C., voted on by the visitors of the exhibit. He lost out on second by what looks to be 4 votes.
Below right: is a clipping from Worcester Sunday Telegram, June 15, 1941, reporting on Woodward's "One-Man Show" exhibition held at the Northfield Seminary, May 29 through June 9, 1941. Also mentioned is some of the artwork shown appearing at the Golden Gate Exhibition in San Francisco, CA, the purchase by Bartlett Arkell of New England Impressions (not specifically mentioned) and Corcoran.
The house seen in this painting was built in 1783, on a tract of land that in 1686 was designated as Deerfield communial land until 1759 and is affectionately
referred to as "The Little Brown House" on Albany Road in Old Deerfield near the Academy. By the 1880's and '90's the house was in terrible condition.
In 1890, George Sheldon a 'Preservationist' and founder of the Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association (1870), one of the first preservation societies in the country wrote and published a book on the home's history and restoration titled The Little Brown House on Albany Road.
The Elm Tree along the house derives its name from the numerous 'Hitchcocks' that lived there throughout its history, the most prominent being Edward Hitchcock who taught at the Deerfield Academy, rising to become its principle (1815-18) and then on to teach at and become the president of Amherst College in 1845. The bookstore at the academy is named after him.
"The Little Brown House" also served as the studio of George Fuller (1822 - 1884) was an American figure and portrait painter. As can be seen from the photograph to the right, one of the more impressive features of "The Little Brown House" was its large east facing window which could serve as a great 'artist window.'
One can read The Little Brown House on Albany Road in its entirety on this link to the Smithsonian Library website.