Painted 1938. Painted on side street (near gymnasium) of Old
Deerfield when in great pain. House, George Fullers old studio. Sent to
Harold Grieve in Hollywood but on return not satisfied with it so repainted
it during the winter of 39-40. Invited to Corcoran Biennial Washington, D.C,
1941, from Macbeth Gallery and winning 3rd place in popular vote among
all pictures in the exhibition. Bought in June 1941 by Mr. Jacob
Merteus, Jr. of #1 Wall Street, N.Y. City or 13 Campden Road, Scarsdale,
Purchased at auction in Old Lyme, Conn. Privately owned.Painted on Old Albany Road in the south end of Old Deerfield
just off the Deerfield Academy campus. This is the road
going west along the south side of the Administration Building down toward
the old cemetery. The tree is gone, but the building is still there.
Please see also Hitchcock Elm
and Out of the Past.
Unknown clipping about RSW painting wins third place
The house as it looks today, June 2007
Clipping from Worcester Sunday Telegram, June 15, 1941